How We Do Marble Steps ReplacementBlog Home
Reasons to replace an old marble step
A crack or step with large chip, have to be replaced as fast as possible. It’s become very danger to have such piece. Tenants can get serious injury as usually it’s weak and loosen. Urgently after a damage detection a warning sign or caution yellow tape should be placed above the step. Since it’s a property owner responsibility to maintain and take care of building facilities, he should be informed immediately.
Worn out steps – steps which loose its shape and thickness. Such steps cannot be restored in full and can be improved or replaced only. A goal of such replacement is improvement of appearance.
Steps locations in a building
Entrance or hall marble steps. Such steps are most exposed to traffic, will be faster worn out by daily wear and tear. There are also more chances to be cracked or chipped.
Staircase or thread marble steps. They are getting less traffic but often can be broken. In most cases it’s happened while moving when movers hit a heavy object such as furniture to a step or its edge. Often it can be cracked or chipped by contractors who carrying their tools or materials to an apartment or for example roof.
How we do step replacement
1. First we’ll review a step and determine a kind of stone
2. Take a measurement or make template if needed
3. Place a fabrication order in a stone shop
4. Pick up and delivery
5. Demolition. To remove the old marble we use tools such as cutter, hummer and chisel. To avoid other damages it should be done with extra care as it surrounded with marble. Old marble step will be crashed to small pieces and trashed.
6. Installation. Depending of a place we can set a step with cement, thin-set, epoxy or caulk. A step can be cut and shaped to exact fit to the place. In most cases it’s ready to step on in one hour and work completed in one day. The least traffic time is always preferable.
Outdoor steps are usually made from granite or granite blocks and more often should be cleaned or restored than replaced.
|Old Step||New Step|